Sunday, February 05, 2006

 

The Extra-Large Bowl

It's been a few years since I have woken up on Superbowl Sunday without jitters. I don't like it. Still, it's the last football game I'll get to see until August, and despite my ambivalence toward the final score, I am soakin' it up. It's not even noon, and I've got the big game countdown on the tele.

Three years ago I had some very legitimate reasons to back Tampa Bay on game day:
  1. Jon Gruden is hot.
  2. I hate the Oakland Raiders, their fans, and their owner.

It turned out ok for me that day. I ended up seeing the Raiders lose AND lots and lots of close-up shots of their former coach, wonder-boy Jon. So now that I think about it, the last FOUR Superbowls have been pretty damn good for me, and a team should be so lucky as to have me on their side on Superbowl Sunday.

Looking again at my reasons for backing the Bucs in 2003, it sure makes my pick for this year seem funny. That's because:

  1. Bill Cowher is scary-looking. His smile could wilt flowers.
  2. I could care less about the Seattle Seahawks. Actually under normal circumstances I pretty much hate the Steelers, and Seattle I view as benign or unthreatening.

So why adorn myself in black and gold? It's pity, to be quite honest. But don't tell those towel-heads; they're a proud bunch. They have been pretty aggressive toward us Patriots fans in recent years, and nothing shuts up a trash-talker like not needing to talk trash. In an ideal situation, the steel army did not need to get past the pats this year to make it to Detroit. Let's hope they take advantage, 'cause who knows when such a thing will happen again.

Maybe I'd be more inclined to root for the Seahawks if I knew any Seahawk fans - at all. I'm sure it's just because I'm sheltered in my haven of New England, but you can't prove those guys have fans by me; I have never met one in my life. I do, however, know many Steelers fans, including one of my best friends from college, and after the consternation caused by my own team in recent years, I suppose I could deal with seeing them smile.

That being said, best of luck to all the fans out there with vested interest in this game. It's a special day to see your team in the big show, and you never know when or if you will see it again. Soak it up.


Comments:
I wrote you a couple emails Reb. If you didn't get them i must have the wrong email addy. Knowing me, that's a strong possibility. Super Bowl? Super Bore.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?