Friday, June 03, 2005

 

oh yeah, it was a day game...

So I'm an idiot, and I completely forgot that it was a day game yesterday. While I was busy with accomplishing other things, I was pondering:

I have this problem: Normally I'm a glass-half-full kind of gal, but lately I get nervous about whoever is going to be pitching. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it anymore. I just figured Mattie would not be quite as good as he has been lately, just because our pitching is so randomly afflicted and unreliable. I've apparently developed a defense mechanism by simply expecting the worst from every one who takes the ball, so I can be pleasantly surprised if he doesn't completely blow up.

And of course I didn't see it, so I can't fairly evaluate how Mattie pitched. Three walks seems to indicate that he wasn't fully on top of his game yesterday, so I'm hoping this was his "off" day, as having one of those at least occasionally seems to be a requirement of sox arms this year. We all thought Foulkie might be through his rough spot, until, of course, he gave up 2 walks and 2 hits last night (and yeah, the go-ahead run, to boot.) I guess I can be glad I didn't see that part.

I tuned in just in time to see the bottom of the ninth. Surely, if I were to have chosen one half inning to see yesterday, this would've been it. I got to see Marky-Mark hustle a grounder into a single, and Edgah's bunt was successful on the first pitch, also a single. Remember folks, if either one of those cheap infield singles results in an out, Papi never sees the plate.

...and I could feel the rally chant pulsing through red sox nation, all of us who were watching at the edge of our seats, knowing just how badly we needed that walk-off by Papi. And then... to see it happen! (Some of us much closer than others, of course.)

And you know how MLB.TV turns off almost immediately when the game ends? I got to see Papi jog into the happy mob at the plate, and that was it. As it clicked to black, my phone rang. Number I had never seen before, but I answer anyway. Jere says to me "tell me that just really happened." I can understand, when you're keeping track of the game at work, you're fairly limited to the play-by-play on gameday. And somehow the delayed message of "Ortiz walkoff HR, game over" is a weak way to describe the drama of a 2-on, 2-out, full-count situation in the bottom of the ninth. So I can relate to his desire for comfirmation.

just a few notes:
Bronson, nice 'rows. Clearly you ARE doing whatever it is you need to do to feel like superman again. Can't wait to see it in action on Saturday. You're such a bad-ass, I love it.

KY, yeah, you led off the game ok, and I really do love you and want to see you on the field every day... but it seems like you haven't been too slick at the plate lately. What is up with that?

Comments:
You get a pass for forgeting about the game when it's a make-up game. However, feel free to use my trick for remembering weekday afternoon games. I just write "1:05" really big on my calendar, so during that day at work I can't possibly forget.

Also, did you fix that coffee maker?

Thanks again for that Ortiz confirmation.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?